Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Downtown Danger

"you're not immortal, ya know?"

That advice came from an inquisitive and fascinating new friend who I've been having a lengthy email conversation with. I had told her a story. A ten year old memory, strip club related. A memory that reminded me of a movie. A memory triggered by a stray comment she made about the fact that I go into strip clubs alone in strange cities.

"Sheesh, how did you get the courage to do that the first time? I have a hard time going to a restaurant by myself!".

Sidenote: ladies, what's up with that? Businessmen eat by themselves on the road all the time. I've eaten solo in hundreds of restaurants. My wife, on the other hand will not. Every now and then I tell her to go treat herself to a nice dinner and I'll handle the kids. If she can't find a friend to go, she isn't going. Simple as that.

Back to the memory. I was thinking of all the situations I've walked into on the road. All the strange cities that I've set out in the night into in search of a semi-clad adventure, strip club style. And it brought back a memory and reminded me of a movie.

The movie first. Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman in "Eyes Wide Shut". The first time I saw it I watched it just as a movie and I thought it sucked. The second time I watched it I realized that I could totally relate to Tom's situation as few others can.

If you've seen it you know the basic story. Tom is a wealthy doctor in the big city. They live a fairy tale upper class life that's undisturbed until one odd, dangerous night. Hearing of an orgy, and unbeknowst to his wife or his friends or family, he sets off in search of it. He stumbles through escalating situations of danger in an underworld that's foreign to him. As you're watching you're thinking "Tom, what the hell are you doing?". He doesn't even realize how out-of-his-element he is. Until finally even his life is in danger.

I've had moments like that. Moments when I was out in the night in a new city looking for a club. Seedy moments. Scary moments.

Picture this: 10 years ago, downtown L.A. I flew in for a conference at a downtown hotel. Saturday and Sunday were adventure time. I put 400 miles on my little rental car getting all around La La land. Malibu, Venice Beach, Sunset Strip, etc. Dozens of little nooks and crannys. I made up my own tour as I went.

I even found a little strip club downtown both nights. All I remember is an amazing variety of women, including some truly exotic Asian women, and spending too much money. I had my fun and I got it all out of my system by Sunday night.

Monday through Thursday I behaved and focused on the conference. By Thursday night I was stir-crazy in the hotel. So I went out for a walk to get away. I thought about going back to the club, but I opted for just a walk. Into downtown L.A. I just picked a direction and started walking. (Looking at a map later I figured out that I headed into Inglewood). After about 25 blocks I realized this might not be a good idea. I looked around and realized that it was getting dark and that all of the shops had bars on the doors and windows. I reversed course and headed back, double time. I almost made it back when I got company. Two of L.A.'s downtown denizens joined me, one on each side, and started chatting me up. Is this pan-handling I thought? I only need to get back a few more blocks. The talk turned to how I could help them get a room for the night to get off the streets. Reluctantly, I fished a $5 out of my pocket and offered it up. Then it got serious. A tighter hold on my elbows. A flashed crude weapon. A growl: "Not enough!" I managed to get a bill out of my wallet - a $20. Enough? Fortunately yes. A rough shove, and they peeled off into an alley. I'd call it "aggressive pan-handling". I looked at that alley and realized I could have been "disappeared" into that alley and no one would have had a clue where I was. I made it back to the hotel, checked out, and flew home.

"you're not immortal, ya know?"

Yes, indeed. I'd like to say I've learned my lesson. But any given road trip will find me in a new city and out into the night. I do live life.

My new friend doesn't even know me, but she cares for me enough to give me safety advice. That's why I love blogging. Thanks, friend, and I hope you have a great, and safe, week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home