Sunday, June 05, 2005

Yeah Honey, It's For Me

You never know when life is going to jump up and remind you that you're getting old.

Like I need that.

So, I was out late on a Saturday night. I decide to slide into my local Walmart, out in a Midwestern cornfield. I don't need much. Some munchies and a new CD.

Mainly the CD.

I know what I want. Nelly. "Country Grammer". Pseudo rap, with a little smoother rhyme.

I find it. I find the munchies. I find a checkout stand. The line moves slower than I want and I notice an open lane next to me manned by a cute young girl in a pony tail. Nineteen or thereabouts. Definitely cute.

So, I put my items on the conveyor. The munchies. The CD.

Of course, the CD catches her eye.

She picks it up. She looks at the CD. She looks at me. She looks at the CD again. Then she cocks up an eyebrow and she asks me the question:

"This for you?".

"Yeah, it's for me", I answer. "I need some driving music."

"You got a fast car?", she asks.

"Yeah, but mostly I just drive a lot."

"Uh huh", she says skeptically as she bags my munchies.

What, I'm the only middle-aged white guy in the midwest that she's seen buying a Nelly CD?

I felt old.

Until I got in my car and cranked up the CD. Now, that's what I came for!

At least she was cute.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home