Thursday, April 21, 2005

Dating Myself in Paradise

I’m alone. Extended traveling on business away from my family. In my favorite city on the planet, so far.

So, I took myself on a two day date.

To a play. Live musical theater, to be accurate, which I love. Nicely dressed. On the aisle. A toe-tapping, sing along good time.

To dinner. In a charming restaurant with Old South ambience. At a windowside table to watch the passing late evening party-ers. A delicious well-cooked filet mignon and a tasty dessert.

Clubbing – which you’ve read about in great detail.

Chasing the light. Photography, in the early morning sun. Exploring the heart of a newly familiar city. Seeing it my way, with my lens. My creativity bursting in the beautiful glow of morning. Chasing color.

To the ocean. Walking the surf’s edge for miles with the crashing surf and the cool breeze as my backdrop. Enjoying a frozen margarita on a colorful rooftop bar beachside, watching the tall ships disappear over the horizon, listening to tropical ballads by a lone guitarist.

Seeing Paradise my way. Perfectly. Except…

I was alone. In a sea of people. At the theater, the restaurant, the club, the city, the beach. Alone.

In Paradise.

And it was the most crushingly lonely weekend of my life.

Oh well, could be worse.